Tuesday, September 1, 2009

WCF Performance (continued)



This evening I was trying to determine if compression options in IIS had any significant effect on WCF performance. In my four tests, there were two variables: message size and compression on/off setting. For message size, I used 1 byte and 4KB settings. The binding configuration for all endpoints consisted of unsecured communication (security mode="None" and encryption and signing turned off). The response consisted of randomly generated bytes. Compression was detrimental to performance for larger messages (I attribute this to the randomness aspect) and seems to not have any adverse effect on small messages (I was a bit surpised about the latter). Perhaps, for a more realistic test, tomorrow I will try a sample XML message instead of random bytes.

No comments: